Mr. Nelson Els, VLF board member and certified John Maxwell coach facilitated VLF's first of many "Evening of Personal Growth and Development" sessions. Here is a summary of the evening in which Mr. Nelson Els focused on the “The Law of the Ladder” from the book “The 15 Invaluable Laws of Growth” by John Maxwell. Nelson provides a synopsis below:
The purpose of the study was to grow yourself to become a better person.
- To become a better person you need to grow in character.
- The law of the Ladder teaches us “Character Growth determines the HEIGHT of your personal growth and personal growth determines your personal success."
- To illustrate the value of “Character Growth” I used my personal life as an example and the book's story of Jerry Anderson of how we were failing in our business & our lives until we both had a personal growth plan & started developing character based on good values & principles.
- The idea is to think of character as the ladder that you climb to reach the height of your personal growth. And to climb this ladder John Maxwell gives us in his book 5 things to grow character and if we do these 5 things every day we will become better persons.
- So I shared the rule of 5 for success as a method to use these 5 things to grow your character which John calls rungs on his character ladder. (I can tell you they work for me every day!)
1. Character Matters.
Focus on being better on the inside than being better on the outside
2. People Matter
Do to others as you want done unto you.
Ask yourself what you want people to do for you, then grab the initiative and do it for them.
3. Passion Matters
Only do things that you truly believe in.
4. Perspective Matters
Value humility above all virtues.
Practice loving people until you learn to do so genuinely.
5. Faithfulness Matters
Strive to finish well.
You do not give up, you keep going even if you do not feel like it.
Hopefully you left with your proverbial Ladder and used the formula of “The Rule of Five” to build the rungs on your character ladder to keep climbing and growing, because “Character Growth Determines the Height of your Personal Growth and Personal Growth Determines your personal Success.”
And that my friends is The Law of the Ladder.
Study this law, live (apply) this law and lead others to the The law of the Ladder.
Your humble servant.
We are grateful to Nelson Els for taking the time to share his knowledge with us.
We also discussed the importance of self-awareness and we learned how the DISC is helping persons to become more self aware. Victorious Living Foundation offers the DISC which is an amazing assessment that allows you to learn more about yourself and communicate better with your loved ones and associates.
DISC is the #1 globally recognized research based behavioural assessment and you may request the assessment or a personal debriefing session if you've already taken it at our Leadership Summit. Learn more about the DISC here.